Tuesday, January 26, 2010

P90X - 5th Time Is the Charm!

In May of 2007, Jeff and I were in Louisiana at a hotel celebrating our 1 year anniversary. While getting dressed and preparing to check out, I came across an infomercial that stopped me dead in my tracks. Now, I'm not an extremely cynical person regarding infomercials, but I'm not easily sold either. So, the fact that I could not stop watching this infomercial was a sign that I was falling for what they were selling. It was for a system called P90X - which stands for Power 90 Extreme. This program was not for the weak. It was sold as an extremely intense workout program. At the time, I was in pretty good shape but was still wanting to do quite a bit of toning to what I considered to be a flabby physique.

We got back to Dallas and I immediately purchased the P90X system with lofty goals of 90 days of extreme working out and a huge transformation. The 12 DVD system was just over $100 but the rest of my "commitment purchases" added up to a pretty expensive program. Weights, bands, heart rate monitors, weight rack, etc... I was totally committed to make this program work - for about a week.

Note to self - that thing was hard! Working out 6 days a week for at least an hour each day was a bit much for me to handle. I quit on day 6 - completely overwhelmed, totally sore and realizing that my goals of total body transformation would have to be through donuts and beer instead of weights and cardio. I was extremely successful in that particular body transformation.

Two more times I committed to P90X and two more times I quit within a week. So, when I decided in March of 2009 that I was going to do it again, Jeff and others just nodded their heads in fake confidence in my claims. But, this time I was completely committed (sounding familiar?). But, I also had a friend doing it with me, so I could not possibly fail... right? I made it to 6 weeks - I was really liking it. But, I was not seeing much in the "body transformation" that they were selling. I was; however, seeing that I was getting more and more tired each time I did the darn workout. Well, completing this program was not in the cards for me - I was PREGNANT. And, for anyone who knows this program, doing it while pregnant is not an option. So, I quit again.

Fast forward to today. After having a baby 8 weeks ago, I've rekindled my love/need for P90X. And, I'm really lucky this time because during one of the middle of the night feedings with Andrew, Jeff ran across that infamous infomercial that sold me so quickly. Welcome to the dark side my sweet hubby! Trust me, it's really difficult to see this commercial and pass it by...especially when the entire system they are selling is sitting on our tv stand. So, Jeff is doing it too! And, that friend that was doing it with me before is going to do it with me again (she quit too - see it's contagious!). And, 2 more friends are doing it with us as well. There is no possible way this can fail....riiiggghhhhttt???? . We shall see. I am a little worried with the ongoing pains I'm experiencing in my c-section incision, especially considering the extreme ab workouts that are required. It may be a little too soon, but I'm determined to give it a go. I'm not sure if I will make it the entire 90 days, but I can guarantee one thing - I will not need to stop during this attempt due to pregnancy. So, one less excuse to slow me down.

See you in 90 days when I'm so shockingly healthy and toned that I will have to sign autographs. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment