I'm a fan of planned discipline and writing a "to do" list is the only way I can make it through my day. I'm one of those people that goes back to my 'to do' list to write down and cross off something that I accomplished that was not previously listed. I'm anal about my lists. I walk around with a notebook practically attached to me. I save all notebooks which means I have to-do lists from 10 years ago still accessible. Not that I spend time going through them...but you never know when you may need some older information.
![]() |
| This is so true. |
That being said - I tend to fight structure. The thought of doing the same thing day in and day out would make me lose my mind. Eating the same thing for breakfast each and every day of life would drive me nuts by day 4. I need to feel like my life has some spice and spontaneity in it - even if it is as small as choosing my meal.
But - lately, things have been getting away from me. Don't get me wrong, I am the energizer bunny and am constantly on the go. I don't really watch tv, I don't like talking on the phone and the joy others find in 'surfing the internet' is extremely baffling to me. I have a bit of trouble with the notion of 'doing nothing' and can honestly say I've not felt 'bored' since I was in college.
Often I look around and wonder how other people get it all done. Is it a facade? I know that I want other people to think I've got it all together. I assume they have fooled me as well. Those that know me well enough to have peeled back the onion know that my 'togetherness' is more of a house of cards than anything well executed. I'm not sure how you are supposed to find the time to effectively run a business, be a mom, be a wife, be a daughter, cook meals, do laundry, clean the house, pay bills, plan for the future, play tennis, play volleyball, exercise, visit friends, go to church, drink wine, write this blog and actually get some sleep.
For those of you who read the list above and immediately say I should give up the tennis, volleyball, wine, friends or blogging - you need to get to know me a bit better. That won't happen. I am a firm, firm, firm believer in life-balance and the importance of activity, sports, creativity and a nice glass of wine.
So, after a few conversations with friends and some surveying others on how to get it all done, I'm afraid I've had to abandon some of my "organized chaos" for "organized structure" - kill me. I've recently abandoned some of my spontaneity in life's little decisions in the hopes that it will free up enough time to allow for larger areas of spontaneity (weekend trips, last minute get-togethers, extended trips to the park, etc...).
A few of the 'new things' I have incorporated:
1. All Laundry now gets done on Sunday vs. throughout the week with piles of clean clothes to be folded.
2. Weekly Meal Planning occurs every Thursday night for the week starting on Sunday.
3. Grocery Day is now Friday mornings. Good sales and zero crowds.
4. Dinner is now served promptly at 6pm to impress the importance of Family Dinner on Andrew.
Welcome to the more grown-up version of me. I've been dragged kicking and screaming in to this part of life and I've been told that 'once you get used to it, things get much easier to manage'. So, this is me getting used to it...I think I'm going to need a glass of wine.



Ah yes the "to do list." I must say that I am slightly surprised that you live with such discipline. I used to also live and die by the list. I no longer let it rule me. Probably because I can never actually find the list! I have to remind myself that my boys will remember the times that i spend with them rather than the spotless kitchen or perfectly pressed clothing.
ReplyDelete