Today was going to be the first week that Andrew made it from Monday-Friday at daycare. Don't get too excited and pop the bubbly yet - he is sick again! He woke up this morning moaning and groaning and not happy. I'm beginning to wonder if this kid puts the thermometer up to the light when I walk out of the room. Today's highest temperature is 102.5, at which point we were shoving him in the car and off we went to the doctor. He was lethargic, burning up and we had no clue why.
Turns out, kiddo has a double ear infection this week. Mind you, he just got over one (first week of January) and now he is infected again. This will be 3 in the last year and 2 in the last month. Jeff had to have tubes when he was a baby due to chronic ear infections and the doctor has begun the conversation with us regarding Andrew getting tubes. I'm prepared for it and am more than willing to take that step if it will help him feel better. He is miserable so often these days as he fights one illness after another.
So, maybe next week will be our week to make it through at school. But, for now, little man is asleep after getting 2 shots in the legs. I'm hoping his fever will break so that he can start to feel better. We have a follow-up at the doctor's office tomorrow morning to see how things go over night. Dr. Blair is as concerned as we are about how often he is getting sick and how sick he is today.
I do realize this is part of the process with daycare, but I'm beginning to really question my decision to put him in at this point. Paying money for a service you don't use, not able to work because you are constantly taking care of your child and the doctor's visits and prescription costs just add to the frustration. Not to mention, a sick baby is not easy to handle - the concept of 'let mommy put you down for just a minute so she can go to the bathroom' is not even possible without a huge breakdown. It's heartbreaking.
But, I'm optimistic about next week!
UPDATE: Andrew's highest fever for this round of sickness went to 103. We went back to the doctor on Saturday for his second round of Rocephin shots in the legs. He remembered being there on Friday and went absolutely nuts when we brought him back to the exam room. He had a feeling he was going to get shots again and guess what - he was right. He cried for 15 minutes. Every single person in that doctor's office knew we were there. And the bad news is, I have to bring him back Monday morning for round 3 of the shots. Dear Lord, make me a bird...
Friday, January 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hang in there friend.... I was in EXACTLY the same place with Griffin when he started day care. Give me a call if you would like to talk about tubes. I put them off for 1 year waiting for him to grow out of the ear infections. In the long run he got the tubes and is much happier and healthier now. I believe that ear infections caused several delays. (walking and speech) Everything revolves around the ears. I'm here to talk, cuss, or mommy support!
ReplyDeleteThanks! I feel like we can't be the only ones that have gone through this. I just don't understand how you are supposed to work or get anything done when your child is constantly sick. We are in conversations now with the doc about tubes. I'm ready to get it done if it will help him and relieve some of his pressure and pain. No fun at all. I may call you to vent.
ReplyDelete