Boy were we fools.
- A few days after we made the final decision - our wiener dog, Cooper, slipped a disc in his back and was paralyzed within 12 hours. We had to have emergency back surgery on him or put him down. I'm not the "put him down" type if the problem can be fixed. He actually had his surgery on Jeff's last day at his job - ironic. A hefty 3 grand later, our little puppy was back and learning to walk again. Fast forward to today - he runs everywhere and has had a fantastic recovery. Totally worth it.
- 3 months after he started full-time school, we got the shock of our lives. I was pregnant. We had literally tried for 2.5 years with no luck at all and NOW we get pregnant?? I told him it was because he was in school now and his swimmers were smarter. ;-)We were between coverage with insurance since he had left his job and I was self-employed. So, I was pregnant and had no insurance. GULP. We jumped on Cobra and rode that out through November when our turkey was born. The insurance coverage was mediocre to say the least and we ended up with thousands in medical bills along with the costs of a new baby, diapers, nanny, etc... Again, totally worth it.
But, we have stayed the course. I did not want to take out student loans if we could avoid it so we have paid cash for school, books, supplies and the rest. He remained in school, got all of his prerequisites done and waited to find out if he was accepted. We cut back everywhere and made it through without any debt! Not only did we not have debt, but we did not have any more savings, no more nest egg, no more breathing room. But, that was part of it. It was what we wanted and what we know will change our lives and Andrew's life in the long run. This was all going to be very worth it.
And it has been.
Jeff was accepted to his first choice school and started yesterday. I'm that beaming wife with a smile from ear to ear. We are thrilled that this day has finally arrived. It's a goal we have been working to get to for so long and I'm just so proud of him. Granted, the road ahead is long too, but we had a major win yesterday!
I love you Jeff - my Murse to be.

No comments:
Post a Comment