Sunday, November 14, 2010

Happy 60th Dad!

Today is my dad's 60th birthday. 60 years of fun, laid back, outgoing and loving Ray. Although I don't think he is excited about turning a year older and entering in to a new decade, I personally think it's great. Looking back over his life, I see such amazing things that life has brought to him. First and foremost would be his rock-star daughter, but it does not stop there. A marriage to my awesome mom that's lasted over 35 years, 2 successful children, a great son-in-law, the best grandson anyone could ever imagine (yes, I'm biased) and a wonderful circle of friends and family.


 My dad was an amazing football and basketball player in his younger years and pretty much managed to excel at any sport he tried throughout life. I remember as I was growing up that my dad played on multiple teams and was always one of the best players on the team. Just a few of the things I remember he was involved with were: softball, soccer, he ran Triathlons, canoe-enthusiast, kayaking, tennis, etc... As he has gotten older, he has switched his focus to some lower impact hobbies such as Golf, Washers, Ping-Pong, Darts, etc... It's a direct result of my dad that my interests in life are so diversified and I'm willing to try any sport, any activity, anything. Not to mention, because of my dad I'll sleep outside, avoid "yellow water", paddle towards the "V" and cook some awesome ribs. 



When my friends think about my dad, the first thing they say is "Man your dad can cook!" And, that is so true. Part of my excitement when my parents come to see us is knowing that my dad will be either grilling steaks or making some yummy cajun dish. We expect a full-blown breakfast and some delicious dinner each and every day that he is here and we get it. French toast, omelets, steaks, gumbo....and the list goes on and on.


 These days, my Dad is now known as Pappy and Andrew knows that "Pappy Makes You Happy!" I've always known my dad would be an awesome grandfather because he has always been good with kids. He has a playful, yet relaxed attitude that kids seem to gravitate towards. He has been perfect with Andrew and I love watching them together. They share many of the same facial expressions and I often see glimpses of my dad when I look at Andrew. 


So, happy 60th birthday Dad - We love the heck out of you and can't wait to celebrate your birthday when you come to Dallas for Thanksgiving. But, don't let all the celebration get in the way of making Gumbo. ;-)



No comments:

Post a Comment