When I was about 6 months pregnant Jeff was reading a pregnancy book for expecting fathers and stumbled upon a concept that I thought was BRILLIANT! This book said that you should give your wife a push gift after she has the baby. A 'push gift' is a gift that the husband gets the wife as a token of his appreciation for all that she went through to carry and deliver the baby. I'm sure you can use your imagination about why it's called a "push" gift.
Jeff and I actually talked about it and decided that something very small would be just fine. Nothing extravagent was necessary considering that we were pretty tight on funds as Jeff goes to school. In addition, he had already surprised me with what I lovingly called my "fat girl wedding ring". It was a larger ring than my normal wedding ring and designed to be worn in the later months of pregnancy when I was too swollen to fit in the original. I wore it for a few months and then it became too small. Towards the end of the pregnancy my fingers looked like bananas and putting jewelry on them was not even a consideration. In fact, I got Carpel Tunnel from the pregnancy because of the swelling in my arms and hands - one of the other side effects of pregnancy that I was not aware of going in to it.
Anyway, on Thursday night Jeff had a big dinner planned and had worked very hard to make a special evening for us where he would present my Push Gift. I was oblivious to the entire thing and was extremely surprised and thrilled with the level of planning that went on behind the scenes. Unfortunately, Andrew had other plans. He was quite fussy and was not willing to allow us to have a nice dinner. So, we ended up eating Taco Bell and putting the steaks and wine to the side for another night. But, I did get my push gift. As I opened the bag, I saw a Dallas Cowboys shirt and I was quite pleased with that. I had wanted one that I could wear and it was perfect. As I took the shirt out of the bag, I noticed that there was a little box at the bottom of the bag. I quickly threw the shirt to the side and dove head first in to the bag to get my hands on that box.
To my complete surprise, my wonderful husband had met with our jeweler and bought me DIAMOND EARRINGS!! I was so shocked and completely surprised - I started crying and was very excited and emotional. What an amazing gift - they are beautiful and I'm so excited! I am wearing them all the time now.
I figured that if I can get this kind of stuff after a pregnancy, I can totally handle having at least one more kiddo!
Thanks to my wonderful hubby for the great gift. I feel very special and I love my new BLING!
Sunday, December 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I think it's AWESOME that you ended up at Taco Bell. That sounds like something that we'd do. :) Congrats on the diamonds! You earned them! I got my "push present" at Christmas - a ring with Alex's birth stone (citrine) surrounded by small diamonds. The only reason a fancy meal was part of my push present is because we were in Arkansas and could leave both kiddos with my parents for the evening.
ReplyDelete