On Monday (38 Weeks) I went to the doctor and found out that I was measuring 41 weeks, 2 cm dilated and still 70% effaced. In the big scheme of things, that really does not matter much. Apparently, every woman is different so I could be walking around not dilated at all and give birth faster than someone who is 4 cm dilated. It's all up in the air. However, on Wednesday we had a bit of a bleeding scare and rushed to the doctor to see if there was a problem. The baby's heartbeat was perfectly normal and she examined me and gave me some interesting news. I went from 2 cm dilated to 3 cm dilated in 2 days - so that's a good sign of progression in the right direction. She is expecting me to start full labor within 24-48 hours. Apparently, the bleeding that was occurring is not common, but does happen in some women and it's a sure fire sign that labor is soon to begin. As of 1:30 pm today - we will be at 24 hours and I'm not any closer to delivering this boy than I was - at least from what I can tell. If labor does not start by Friday, I'm going back in to have another sonogram to give them an idea of how big he is. If he is measuring over 8.5 pounds - the doc will go ahead and plan to induce on Wednesday. That puts us in the hospital on Thanksgiving day, but that's ok. The good thing is - I have an end in sight!
A great thing from our experience today - the thought of possibly going in to labor in the middle of the night put Jeff and I in to full gear "get it done" mode. We had some left over things that needed to be done to the nursery to make it completely ready for Baby Walker. Shelves to hang, a few more things to clean out, etc... It's officially done even down to the new monitor and night light. And for those who knew that Jeff originally wanted an entire Dallas Cowboys Themed nursery, notice that we have an entire shelf dedicated to the Cowboys. However, it may have to share some space with a few LSU things to keep things balanced. :-) Here are a few pics of the nursery.
Two nights ago, Jeff, who is apparently in his own nesting mode, decided that we really needed surround sound speakers mounted in our living room before the baby got here. Mind you, he bought the speaker wire to do this project over 2 years ago and had to fish it out of the garage to begin this project. I had clean floors and a clean house that became blanketed with tools, sheet rock dust and wires coming from the attic. However, he has finished the project - I'm surrounded with sound - the shop vac (Jeff's best friend) sucked up all trace of the mess and we are back to normal and he can scratch that project off his list as being done before the baby arrives. Good job J!
This is a challenging time for Jeff because he is in school and working along with dealing with his big pregnant wife. I'd love to say that I'm always sweet, caring, understanding and downright lovable, but I don't think anyone would buy that. So, he studies late in the evenings after I've gone to bed and have stopped bombarding him with "honey-do's" or "let's go here to eat" or "help, this is too heavy" statements. He is maintaining B's in his classes, so we are very pleased. However, it looks like he will have to do an extra semester of Pre-Requisites before being able to apply to Nursing School. It's unfortunate and extends his school time by another 6 months, but it is for the best and will really help his chances of getting in to a good program. But, even with all of this on his mind - he still came home with flowers for me the other night. He knows this is hard on me and is making an effort to ease some of it. I'm very grateful for that.
I'm still so excited for Christmas that I can barely stand it. We are heading in to Louisiana this year again, but doing so earlier than normal. We will be attending the Cowboys/Saints game at the Superdome on December 19th. Mom will be watching the baby and we will head out to cheer on the Cowboys (and Saints...shhhhh). I now have 8 outfits for Christmas for our new baby boy. I know - overboard. But, I don't care. If I could hang bells on him and have Christmas carolers follow him around, I would probably do that. Jeff's family will be joining us again for Christmas in Louisiana this year - so I think it's going to be the perfect Christmas!
So, all in all - we really have no news yet. The cars are packed with our bags for the hospital and we are just waiting for him to say "go" and we are off to the races. Getting very excited to meet this little guy -- and NAME him.
More to come...

No comments:
Post a Comment