Sunday, October 4, 2009

Pregnancy To Date

We found out I was pregnant on March 29th of this year. As much as we had been open to it and even "not preventing", we had grown very accustomed to the idea that having a baby was not in the cards for us at this time in our lives. So, needless to say, we were shocked and in awe for about 2 days.

Jeff had left his job in real estate and the insurance that went with it. I have been self-employed since 2005 and have been on his insurance since we got married in 2006. So, we were both left with no insurance and 4 sticks informing us that I was pregnant. In addition, Jeff had gone back to school in an effort to complete his degree and go in to nursing. He was taking 16 hours of school, studying 15 hours a day and we were officially a one income family.

So, getting past the shock of our current situation in only 2 days was really not that bad! After battling with multiple insurance companies about what constitutes "pre-existing" conditions and the requirements to cover pregnancies, we ended up signing up for Cobra through his old job and were lucky that the government was offering a program to subsidize up to 65% of that cost.

In the beginning, I was determined to keep a log of everything that was occurring and keep it to look back on in the future. That lasted about a month or so and then I gave up or got busy with other things. Who knows. Either way, I'm now 7.5 months and am just starting this blog after some slight pressuring from friends and family.

All in all, it's been an easy pregnancy up to this point. I've had a few ups and downs but nothing that has been too difficult to get through. I do remember a friend of mine telling me after she had her first child that she was built for bearing children. I can be sure of this - I do not feel the same at all. I was built for drinking wine, playing tennis, pedicures, sushi, going out with friends and not getting really big in the belly area. So, I'm not embracing this process as much as others may. Although, I'm really glad it's a 9 month process because I was even less prepared to take home a baby 7 months ago. I'm much more open to it now - because I've had time to prepare and adjust to the idea.

I tried to stay active with my 3 tennis teams, my volleyball team and morning power walks with Jeff in an effort to not gain too much weight. However, I also went full speed ahead with Fritos, Oreos and a 2x per week trip to Whataburger for a morning Taquito. So, needless to say, I've contacted my trainer and have an appointment already set to start getting rid of the fun I've had with food over the last several months.

Talking about my lovely mood swings is a bit less fun. I was an extremely emotional person in my first 2 trimesters - but not emotional in the way of tears. No, I was raging pissed at the world. Road rage, friend rage, hubby rage, tennis rage, client rage, etc... You name it, it annoyed me. I was so worried about it in the beginning but it has really become much easier now. The only one that still feels my wrath is my poor husband. We have had some rough times through this pregnancy and some very wonderful times. He has really embraced my new moodiness and has been so wonderful to me. Even buying me a new wedding ring after my fingers got too swollen for my original. We will be glad when the pregnancy is over, but I do think it will bring us closer as a couple. It's a very vulnerable state for me and seeing him take care of me and watch over me has just been great.

To close the first blog of hopefully many more to come, I can say that I'd like to use this as a way to document our lives as we enter this new phase. We really are thrilled to be having a baby boy and can't wait till November when he joins us. We will also be using the next few weeks to finish up about 1 million projects, transform our bad dogs in to miracle pups, finally come up with a name for our new addition and get mentally prepared for the change our lives are about to experience. I am excited!

So, here we go...

1 comment:

  1. had no idea you are so verbose! enjoyed the blog. keep 'em coming!!
    your loving bro-in-law

    ReplyDelete